Quick Guide: Definition and Meaning
What is a Memorial Service?
Memorial services give family and friends an opportunity to pay tribute to their loved one’s memory and support one another in their grief journeys. Because after the funeral, one’s journey through grief isn’t over.
A memorial service is similar to a funeral service and celebration of life ceremony but serves a slightly different purpose. It doesn’t include a visitation and is held after the funeral, often on significant days such as:
- A loved one’s birthday
- The anniversary of a loved one’s passing
- Holidays such as Valentine’s Day
You can hold your memorial service in a funeral home, church, or significant location such as their gravesite, memorial location, or one of their favorite places. You can use the memorial service to share more memories of your loved one and gather with friends and family. Use it as a time to reflect on your loss and to connect with those you love.
Just because you already had a funeral or celebration of life service doesn’t mean you can’t continue to gather to honor their life. Memorial services can be held at any point in your grief journey and often occur well after the deceased is buried or cremated.
What are the benefits of holding a Memorial Service for my loved one?
Holding a memorial service can provide closure, comfort, and support for family and friends who are grieving the loss of a loved one. It can also serve as an opportunity to honor and celebrate the life of the person who has passed away. Additionally, it can be a time for people to come together to share memories, offer condolences, and provide emotional support to one another.
Memorial Service Ideas
Some creative ways to personalize a memorial service are:
- Having family and friends share memories with their loved ones. Guests could have the chance to share their stories in front of everyone, or you could all break off into smaller groups and go around sharing your memories with your loved ones.
- Choosing readings, prayers, and other materials that remind you of your loved one.
- Serving your loved one’s favorite food or signature recipes. A potluck is a great way for everyone to be involved.
- Make a DIY memento together, such as a scrapbook or personalized photo frame.
- Playing your loved one’s favorite music or music that reminds you of them. Perhaps they enjoyed a local musician you could hire to play a few songs.
Is a Memorial helpful with the grief journey?
Memorials can be helpful for some people in their grief journey by providing a physical space to remember and honor their loved ones. However, everyone grieves differently, so what works for one person may only work for another. Finding what works for you and giving yourself time to heal is essential.
Meet Our Personalized Memorial Services in O'Fallon, IL
Honor your loved ones and cherish them forever.
Your loved one’s life can be honored anytime in your grief journey. Our staff at Schildknecht Funeral Home & Cremation Services can help your family plan a beautiful memorial service to pay tribute to your loved one. Book a visit to our funeral home to discuss memorial service ideas.